Wednesday, February 13, 2008

The things you learn by losing your power.

~Number one, I didn't realize how dependent I am on electricity until I didn't have it anymore, AND I realized how ill prepared DH and I are if it happens again (this will now be fixed). Case in point, during the blizzard of 1993 my family and I lost power for a week, at least. Everything was fine....we had a kerosene heater that we cooked over and since our heat was from a wood stove anyways (it was an old 100 year farm house) we stayed warm. These were the days when playing outside was the cool thing to do (granted there was 2 feet of snow, and not just high wind like this time), and board games, puzzles, cards, and no tv or computer were suitable nights with the family. We had plenty of water and light from candles/laterns. However in 2008, these last few days have been crap without power....no heat, one flashlight, and a few candles (the first night). The second night we packed up a few clothes and stayed at my parents house...dog and all. This wouldn't have been so bad except for the dog situation, but either way I would have rather been home. All I could think about was how much I wanted to run on my treadmill, and all the laundry I needed to do. Crazy how things change huh? Although I will admit DH and I did play a game of Life that first night =)

~Speaking of home....I learned that as well. As much as DH and I really hate the house we bought (and we do). Right now it is our home, our safe, comfortable place. As much as we don't like being there on a daily basis, when we couldn't stay there anymore....all we wanted to do was go back....to our food, our bed, our shower, our fenced in back yard for the dog to play.

~Also, I have been quite the selfish person lately. Going back to number one, I mean come on, is three days without power really THAT big of a deal. Yeah, it isn't convenient but in the grand scheme of things, how much does it really matter? The neighbor across the street from me still doesn't have power, even though our block got it back yesterday. This is because one of her own trees fell on her power line and snapped it. Actually, since she was on the row of houses that never lost their electricity she would have had it all along if it wasn't for that tree. Either way, I now have power and she doesn't....so in essence, I'm lucky....even though I complained for 2 straight days about my lack of power.

~My dog is certifiably spoiled rotten. She refused to eat or poop during this whole deal (although the lack of pooping could probably be accounted for by the lack of eating). AND she whines like a bitch (ha, bitch) when she is in her cage and we are sitting in the living room or within sight so she knows we are still home. I am looking into classes that "make my dog act more like a dog and not a child", lol, but training classes will do just fine. It is totally our fault she is this way though, so we really need to fix it. She was a completely different dog when we brought her home last night.....she was happy, she listened to commands, it was great. Apparently she doesn't like change AT ALL.

~Lastly (and actually this has nothing to do with the lack of electricity, just the mail from yesterday) I need to start volunteering more. I really have nothing I do in my spare time. I don't have hobbies like knitting or scrap booking, and I don't have children....although I claim I don't have a lot of free time left, I really do...and I don't use it well =/. What does this have to do with the mail you wonder? Well, yesterday I got a donation request from the C.ystic Fib.rosis Found.ation (or CFF for short) asking me to give money for the "cause", and they would send me a free "65 roses" blanket and such. By the way, if you don't know the story of 65 roses, click on the link to read about it, it's pretty nifty. Oh, and if you have never read "Alex: The life of a child" by Frank Deford (who my dad actually met after he found out I had CF), check it out too. CF is my passion (for obvious reasons) but ever since my parents left the chapter around here I haven't done anything to help the cause. Why? I'm not exactly sure. It is odd for me because on one hand I almost feel guilty for being so healthy and don't want to "flaunt" it, but on the other hand I do want to show people that this disease doesn't have to take over your life...it doesn't have to define you, and I am an example of that. So I decided last night that I am going to start being more active in CFF and the local chapter (honestly, if I could find a job with CFF that would be my dream). I am going to start with my donation, and even check the box that says "Don't send my free gift. Please donate all of my money to the CFF"

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

I'm glad you finally have your power back! That must be a big relief! I know the feeling, we lose power all the time even just from high winds. Not fun, but you can imagine the candle stock we have, LOL.

Oh and I was thinking...the dog's whining could be a "Boxer" trait because I find that with Belle, even if I leave the room or close a door behind me, she whines. She knows I'm there, yet she still whines. Boxers love being around people, so it may not be a thing you can make her stop doing....although I'm totally with you on trying to! haha I wish Belle would stop whining too!!

One last thing....I own and have read that book years ago. It's an amazing story and it makes me cry every time I read it. Anyone who hasn't read it, definitely should.

Jen said...

Woohoo on getting your power back. Ours was out for about 5 days last year, but we were well set thanks to my DH who takes his boy scout motto of "be prepared" seriously. We have a generator, wood stove, and gas hot water heater so we were quite comfortable. I'm sorry you had to stay with your parents, because no matter how much you love them its hard to go back when you're used to being on your own!

Oh and if you figure out how to unspoil your dog please let me know. My Cujo is crazy spoiled!