Friday, January 30, 2009

What do you smell like?

Since returning to work I have noticed many things, but one thing that sticks out is how much you can smell other people throughout the day. I'm not talking about stinky smells (although this may be the case for some) but the smell of someone's perfume or shampoo/lotion or the food or coffee they are carrying. Because I'm back and forth between the 7th floor a lot now (it's where our pump room is), I notice that every time I get on the elevator it smells different. I've also noticed that some people have the same smell everyday....like the same perfume for example. Then I started to realize how *little* I smell, lol. I mean I wear scented deodorant so I get a hint of that every now and then, but when it comes to MY smell, as in pass me in the hall and notice a fragrance, I don't really have one. My shampoo doesn't smell like anything, I don't use perfume or body splashes, and my lotion is usually something bland like oatmeal or almond butter, plus we've already established I do use deodorant, so hopefully we can rule the stinky smells out too, lol.

Anyways, this leads me into my question for the day. Do you people out there in blogger world have a certain smell you use everyday? If so, what? Specifics please....like exact name and place, for example "warm vanilla sugar from bath and body works".

Also, do you like to smell other people? When you get on an elevator and it's overwelmed with scent (again, hopefully good), do you go "wow, that smells nice" or "at least it doesn't stink in here" or are you part of the crowd that thinks "jeez, overkill"?

8 comments:

Christina said...

I use the sweet pea body spray from bath & body.
There's a lady at work that bathes in perfume and it gags me every time she walks by. I can almost tell when she enters the building because it's so strong.

Anonymous said...

I might smell like my shampoo sometimes (I use Dove), and sometimes when we go out (which we don't do much anymore) I wear coach perfume, but that is it.

Heavy, warm colognes and perfumes gross me out and/or give me a headache, and I think a person's smell should never linger after their gone, but if I pass someone, and get a whiff of a light, fresh scent, I think it's really nice.

Christy said...

I don't really have a "smell" but I have a friend that wears Bijon perfume. I think she must wear the purfume, body spray and lotion because it is so strong. It smells good for the most part, just strong.
I can tell if she is near because I can smell it and I know it is her

Anonymous said...

I'm a firm believer that perfume should be banned and all one needs is shampoo and deodorant (and maybe a lightly-scented body wash). Then again, this comes from me being highly sensitive to smells and allergic to a lot of things. I can smell someone smoking a cigarette while driving from two cars ahead of me. Exhaust fumes? Must. Pass. Truck. If you are a perfume wearer, I just avoid you so I don't have to deal with my throat closing up and my eyes itching.

It sucks really. :/

Kelly said...

I wear Happy perfume from Clinique everyday but it's really light and airy so it's not very strong. Hopefully it's not too overpowering... I do get lots of comments on smelling good and what am I wearing so that must be a good sign.

HereWeGoAJen said...

Almost everything I use is unscented. In fact, I can't think of anything I use that has a scent. I don't like heavy scents at all.

nancy said...

Katie!!! What the freaking hell??? I didn't know you were blogging here! I didn't have this in my reader and here you are - totally blogging! Why didn't you tell me? I feel like i missed months. Well, I DID miss months! I feel so dumb. I can't believe you didn't tell me! Or was that on purpose?

As for smells, I don't like smelling other people. But there are some people I love the smell of. Like my best friend. She has a very specific scent about her. She made a blanket for Karl and when I opened the package, I could immediately SMELL HER. I loved it.

As for me, I have a distinct scent too. I have been using a specific oil from one shop since college. I have people call me and tell me "I smelled you today" when they smell it on someone else.

docgrumbles said...

I think I smell like Pantene conditioner (straight hair formula) and, these days, spit up ;)