Sunday, November 4, 2007

Wow....what a weekend....

Like I said, wow....what a weekend. It started off bad, got a little worse but fortunately today is OK. There were a lot of things that can to the surface this weekend, but the main one had to do with my Masters program. Essentially it is slowly tearing apart my marriage because for the past month I have done nothing but work on all the assignments, discussion boards, and papers that were due...on top of being at work full time. My husband and I were living in the same house but living completely separate lives, and it took a toll. For once, I think I bit off more than I could chew. After the classes I am already in end I am going to drop down to part time and only take one class at a time (or maybe occasionally two) but most likely one depending on my new job situation at work. I will blog more about this later once I get a definite answer. I didn't realize how much stress this would take. I certainly still want to finish my Masters, but I realized finishing it as quickly as possible is not worth the relationship with my husband. Last night he told me he missed me and that school had taken me away from him...quite frankly he's right. I hope things will get better from here on out, because at least now we found the problem and I am going to fix it as soon as I can. Today is much better than yesterday, so it's definitely a start.

4 comments:

Monica Fayth said...

hmm, it's kinda ironic that I read this today. Josh is getting fed up with his classes and thinking about taking a break from his master's as well. And I was just thinking about going back for my PhD. I haven't really looked into it too much yet so I haven't really talked to him about it. I guess we really need to consider how much effect it might have on our relationship.

KatieM said...

Mon, I really didn't think it would take SO much of a toll. We got through my entire B.S which I finished in 2 and a half years, however I wasn't working full time then, I was just doing a flex-time position at the hospital. Maybe that's the issue though, the entire time Thomas and I have been together I have never not been in school except for a brief 6 months while I was deciding what to get my Masters in. Maybe we just need a school break, or at least slow down the momentum of which I am getting my degree so we can have some time together. I won't completely quit, but I am definitely thinking one class at a time right now is enough.

jenn said...

I know that Tom & I fought about as much as we ever did while I was in school & working. I only ever did part time job, but it was still hard. I think slowing down is a fine thing- taking your relationship first, but continuing on your path to your goals, is always a good compromise. I know it is completely cliche to say- but you do have plenty of time to stretch out your masters. another year in the long run isn't all that much... plus it is much easier on you too!

Jen said...

Yeah...I've been there. I was working on my masters and working full-time while DH was still in his apprenticeship and taking 2 - 3 night classes per week while working full-time. Now we were both in programs intentionally designed to be working FT, and we were still completely stressed out! We're both glad we did it but it was a rough couple of years.

So if you need to cut back then do it! Your marriage is way more important.