Tuesday, August 5, 2008

Back with a story

Ok, so actually this story has nothing to do with my trip, but I was reading Mel's post here, and decided to share my story on my blog.

The women in my family have a history of getting their first period early (and subsequently hitting menopause early as well...makes sense right?). My mom was 9 and I (luckily I guess, if you will) made it to 11. I don't remember a lot of details about my first period honestly....I remember it was heavy though with pretty decent cramps (yeah, I later found out endo had a little part in that). HOWEVER, the one thing I do remember about getting used to my monthly visitor was using tampons for the 1st time. After a few months of the pad business I told my mom I wanted to try tampons (no, this isn't turning into a my mom showed me how to use them story). Never being a tampon user herself, my mom actually wasn't a lot of help in the actual usage department (in fact she told me they were uncomfortable) but went with me to pick up a box none the less so I could try them. So, here I am....the tender age of 11 sitting in my bathroom with a box of tampons carefully reading the directions and decifering out the poorly drawn pictures (this was over 10 years ago....yeah, you know the ones). After a few minutes I thought "what the hell" and went for it. Insert: check, push plunger part up: check.....done. Now, does anyone see anything wrong with this picture? I sure hope so.....because yeah, young dumb me forgot to take the actual applicator OUT. So for the few hours or so I walk around WITH the applicator there thinking "yeah, this really isn't that comfortable". Then however I need to take the thing out vowing to never use them again....I get out my handy dandy instructions again and start reading. Yeah, this is when I realize the applicator is supposed to be disgarded when you put the dang thing IN.

This story isn't exactly embarrasing (oh, I have plenty of those...did you read about the heavy part above?!?) seeing as no one ever knew what happened, but it does make me chuckle every time to think I had this piece of plastic hanging out of me assuming it was a "normal" tampon thing.

2 comments:

CanadianMama said...

Haha, I think we all have a funny "first time with tampons" story. They kind of do take a bit of practice!

Anonymous said...

yah, i did that EXACT same thing. glad i'm not the only one! except i couldn't wear tampons until grade 12, what a dork!

wileywomb